Saturday 19 March 2011

Not Quite as White as it's Painted!

This is the first time in a while I've used the painted mask technique. At least, that's what *I* call it! To be honest, I haven't seen anyone else doing it, so maybe I'm the only one. Or perhaps everyone else thinks it's rubbish so I'm left here on my own, deluded, LOL You can see an earlier (and more ambitious) attempt at this technique here.

This card uses another square of yesterday's patterned paper (hey, two 4 1/2 inch squares in two days, I'll work my way through my paper mountain in no time at this rate! NOT! lol). I stamped the globe and when it had dried I painted over it with white acrylic paint and sanded it slightly to give a smoother surface, before stamping again over the top. It makes the image appear to be part of the design of the paper, because you can slightly see some of the stripes through it. Well, that's how it appears to me, anyway :)

2 more offcuts of patterned paper, some coffee stain images and a text passage, all Tim Holtz stamps by Stampers Anonymous. That's about all there is to it, see you again tomorrow! :)

13 comments :

slbt17 said...

wonderful Dan! I love it.
Sandra ltb

voodoo vixen said...

Well, no matter if you are on your own or not... I love it. You have managed to take the patterned paper and make it your own!! I tried the coffee stains... it didn't work so I am now presuming that it takes more than inking the bottom of your coffee cup and plonking it on the paper???

misteejay said...

After managing not to choke on my coffee when "BatDan" jumped out at me I then ended up spluttering when I read Annette's attempts at 'coffee stains' by inking the bottom of her mug...think I'm okay now LOL

Fab card Dan - love the colour and that paint technique looks so effective.

Toni :o)

Michelle said...

Gosh Dan that is mega clever - and gave me an idea of what I might do with it, one day when I get thru my crafty lists!!

Scrappy~Sarah said...

great work Dan :)

Jules said...

Great technique Dan - I've never come across it but will definitely be having a go, it looks great! Well done for using more patterned paper lol :D

Hels Sheridan said...

OMG, I just spat my coffee at the lappy... BATDAN!!! Oh how I have missed him! Am wondering now if Honk Kong PhooeyDan will be turning up soon LOL
Loving your card.. tis loverly x

Andrea said...

a fab card as always BATDAN LOL loving all the different makes you do x

Nancy Wethington said...

This turned out so well. Have you tried your technique with Distress Stains? Wondering how that would look.

Sid said...

Nice effect Dan !!

Dorothy said...

Very nice Dan!

salamanda said...

I see what you mean. You will have to come up with some fancy name like part obliterate masking with paint technique. Love Batdan made me lol!

Sue in CT said...

I like this. I don't think I will ever look at coffee stains again in the same way....LOL. I will never understand how mine come out on the places I don't want them (furniture) but when I try to make them on my paper, it don't work. Maybe I am not doing it right???

Related Posts with Thumbnails