Tuesday 22 March 2011

A Concertina Card Organiser

I decided today to be super-organised and get myself in gear to try, for the first year, to send handmade cards at Christmas! I have never done it before, always copping out and buying them, but this year it will be different! :) Plus, making this organiser has helped with my new resolution to use more patterned paper! :)
Those of you who have followed my blog for a while might remember that I designed this file a year or two ago and all the pieces are cut on the Cricut using the SCAL program. As I have bought a huge box of 5" cards with envelopes, that is the size I will be making, so this box is 5 1/2" wide and 6" or so tall. I reckon I should be able to fit about 30 or so cards with envelopes in it.
Now all I have to do is be self-disciplined enough to actually make the cards! LOL Oh, the ingredients... Top paper is from My Minds Eye Christmas Glittered stack, bottom is from a Costco tote full of double sided cardstock. The picture is from Tim Holtz's Seasonal card stack and the ticket is one of his stamps.

Each time I've made one of these I've used a different method of fastening them shut. This time I've used adhesive magnets. They work well, but are so strong that they were coming off the closure rather than unstick from each other, so I beefed up the adhesive on them with a strip from my ATG gun, and now they work fine! :)

17 comments :

Heather Ales said...

It's gorgeous! I love it and think I need to do the same thing!!

voodoo vixen said...

Those magnets can be a nightmare as they are so strong they rip your paper.... I solve the problem by covering them with paper - this does two things, hides the magnets and stops the ripping!! :) Love your concertina file - will wait to see if you manage to fill it up!! LOL You could always have a Rudolph day on the 25th of each month and make 4 cards (you have missed 2 months so you may need to up that to 5) and then you will have plenty to post come Crimbo time!!

Hels Sheridan said...

love this heaps Dan... would make a really nice pressie for someone who caught a cold from you and then suffered for months afterwards ROFL Loving Annette's idea of a Rudolph day too!! Hope you is okies, cutting into all that paper LOL x

Soraya said...

hum! Just looking at that box should make anyone create wonderful cards!

misteejay said...

Oh I remember you doing this file -is it really so long ago? I think this box is super and I look forward to seeing what you create to go inside.

Toni :o)

Sid said...

Great idea.....not sure whether I will make mine though !!

starcyl said...

I remember this file well, I made as a swap item one month when the theme was anything but a card.
Think I may have to have another go and follow your idea for a Christmas one, already started on the cards!

Jenny x

Measha06 said...

Fab box. Would you share the cut file again please?

Scrappy~Sarah said...

great work there Dan :)

mckinkle said...

Great idea Dan, we are on a mission to make a couple of xmas cards each fortnight but unlike you, havent got such a super storage folder.
Just perfect and what an ideal gift too, just smaller with fewer slots for cards in I reckon!

Keryn :o

Claire said...

That is fab Dan, Brilliant idea.
C
xx

Jules said...

Fantastic Dan, I love it! The Christmas theme going on is a bit scary in March though :D

Laura said...

Great wallet! Just get that red nose in gear!

dragonfly60 said...

I love this box, it is just what I need. Would you consider sharing the file again.

Thanks
Irene

Danielle said...

Absolutely gorgeous work! Thanks for sharing it on your blog.

Jenny said...

Great project and I love the colours too.

linda said...

Dan, please stop teasing me! I cannot live another day without this organizer!!! How can I get this in svg? Simply aewsome!

Related Posts with Thumbnails