Sunday, 11 May 2008

An experiment that went slightly adrift...

I mentioned in previous posts a technique that I was calling the painted mask technique. This is where you stamp an image, then paint it with acrylic paint, painting over any fine detail, then stamping the image again on top once the paint is dry.

I have used this technique successfully a number of times, but always on relatively simple stamped images, so I thought it was time to try something more complex.

The image above is the result - not bad, but not completely successful either! The stamp is from Stampers Anonymous, and I stamped it onto white card with black Versafine ink. Once dry, I painted the image with acrylic paints, then (tried to) stamp in the original position to put back the detail that I had painted out. With such a detailed stamp, it was impossible to do by eye as I had in previous attempts. Because of that, I got hold of a stamp positioner, the Stamp-a-majig, so that I could stamp in the same place every time.

I'm afraid to say, the results were hardly better than when I had done it by eye! The one above is the best of them, but if you look closely, it's out of position by quite a bit! You don't even want to know how many times I stamped and painted the image for each new attempt, LOL As these were experiments, it didn't matter TOO much how they turned out, which is just as well because I was getting quickly fed up with the poor results I was getting!

I think me and the Stamp-a-majig just aren't meant to become friends! :o) I've since acquired a different stamp positioner, called the Big Ugly, which I haven't tried yet, but it's considerably heavier, so hopefully I will get better results with it!

Click on the image to see it larger. I hope you like it! :o)

16 comments :

Chriss Rollins said...

still love it Dan ..but dont you agree it made it all the more original...have you got one of your testers going free to a good home. lol.
thanx for sharing
chriss x

Hels said...

Well, I think it is simply fabulous Dan, as for it being "out"....hey, art is all about things not being "perfect" and I just loooove this! You are so clever :O)) In fact, I will even go so far as to say that I love this more than I love chips n curry sauce!!

craftyscot said...

I think it is great Dan
x

Angelnorth said...

Looking good to me Dan - think of any 'imperfections' as adding character is what I always say :o)

I made my own 'jig' BTW - you just need a couple of straight sided blocks that you can join at a right angle so if your Big Ugly doesn't suit then maybe you could try a DIY version with wood blocks of a weight that suits you?

Andrea said...

well I to think it looks fab and far better than anything I could do xx

Paul B said...

I think its great that youre experimenting & sharing the results. Its how we all have learnt so much about stamp crafts by those who aren't afraid to just try somethng new & different

Px

Ang C said...

It looks fab

Linda Elbourne said...

I think it looks beautiful X

Sarah aka Flo said...

looks like you have as much luck with your stampamajig as I have with mine :)

I actually think it works on this piece, though - like when litho prints look all the better for being slightly off register.

sulie said...

So unusual and very creative!

Anne said...

Oh my.... It's still simply outstanding!! Wish my 'went adrift' stuff ended up like this instead of in the bin!!! ;o)

Enfys said...

I love this. Veru different to your usual style.

mrsspook said...

I love it...as for going adrift so what, keep up the great work
June x

penibear said...

Looks great to me! That's an interesting idea, must have a go...
Thanks
Penny

Netti said...

This is a great idea and very effective technique, Dan. And I quite like when you get an offset image like that - it's cool!

Allycat x said...

Well I think its absolutely fantastic - it looks like you meant to have it like that! Its art! Its beautiful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails