Tuesday 23 November 2010

A Christmas Card for the 21st Century

I decided that I was going to make a Christmas card for today's post, so I was sitting at my desk, thinking about Santa, angels, holly, bells - all the usual components of such things.

My mind started to focus on angels and the realisation that the angels we frequently see in Christmas cards, dressed in flowing gowns, are only dressed that way because that was how people dressed at the time they were painted. Likewise the hairstyles, ethnicity and so many other characteristics of a traditional angel are really only things that were reflections of the taste and norms of their time.

I decided to make an urban, modern Christmas card, showing an angel that demonstrated a more contemporary style, and this is what I came up with. I'd like to think that 21st century angels might look a bit like this! I hope you like it :) All comments welcomed!

(By the way, see that strip of Cosmo Cricket cardstock? I have held onto that for 3 years and this is the first time I've used it - it almost killed me to cut into it - I know a lot of you will know the feeling! LOL)

ETA: The main image is by PaperArtsy, from their Urban Snapshots range (www.paperartsy.co.uk)

13 comments :

Cynthia Schelzig said...

What a "groovy" angel! I really really like it...so hip and cool looking!

Nancy said...

Oooohhh... great card, Dan! I like the image - and the thought process!!

Hels Sheridan said...

So brave of you Dan... I got those papers too and I cut mine the other day... it hurt but it was worth it... as yours is too cos it is just that little finishing touch to this FAB card! Loving your modern Angel... you could have just had a pic of me though... seeing as I am one already ROFLMAO ;o)) x

D Q said...

Very cool!

DeeAnn said...

Dan, I love your card! My favorite angel card I have seen so far. Thank you for inspiring.

misteejay said...

Very 21st century - great idea.

Have you recovered from cutting into your PP? The resulting card should prove to you that it was all worrth while.

Toni :o)

Sarah said...

oooh I really really REALLY like this card!

(and I also have some years old CC paper that I haven't quite plucked up the courage to use yet :))

Louise said...

Fab card - very 21st century and not a sterotype in sight!

Scrappy~Sarah said...

Great card, very modern

Rockin Robin Caldwell said...

I LOVE this card!!! Who makes the image? I really like the image, but especially like what you've done with it. I have to laugh..a lot...Yes, I too am a "hoarder"!! I save that "special paper" for when I have a large format scanner, and a laser printer to make/print scans of faves!! How "sick" is that?? Hugs, rockin robin c

Deborah said...

What a brilliant take on the Christmas angel! I love it! I'd never really thought about angel gowns reflecting the clothes of the time. But it makes perfect sense.

liz a. said...

how clever is this card! i totally agree with your thought process about angels; i thought of the movie, "michael" with john travolta as a modern day angel, a fun movie. thanks for the inspiration.

Anonymous said...

Fab modern take on a traditional greeting! Wonderful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails