Wednesday 14 October 2009

Snake Book Pages 1 & 2

I thought, dear reader, that we'd take a break from Halloween today, so here are two pages from a snake book I'm making, which will be bound with the Bind-it-All. They're not actually the first two pages of the book, but I've grouped them together here because the techniques used on both pages are the same. I only wanted 4 holes down each side of the page, so I didn't punch them on the BIA, I cut them on the Cricut instead, using the Sure Cuts a Lot software.

I used the faux batik technique on both pages. The large damask-type designs on the right-hand side of each page were stamped first onto the blank page using a Versamark ink pad and then embossed with clear embossing powder. Colour was then applied to each page using an ink blending tool, with the embossed areas acting as a resist so that colour didn't apply to those parts.

I then placed brown (kraft) paper over each page and ironed with a hot iron which melted the embossing powder until it soaked into the kraft paper and was removed from the page. Other parts of the page were then stamped and finally the main figures were stamped separately, coloured with Promarkers and cut out, then adhered to the page. I ran a pale grey marker around the edge of each figure to make it pop a little more.

2 down, 10 more pages to go! Click on the image for a larger view.

18 comments :

Patty said...

WOO HOO!!! I'm the first to post on this!!! I honestly can't wait to see how this looks all put together! Pretty cool so far!

Sarah St. - NL said...

I would have been first but it keeps messing up!!!

AWESOME!! I hadn't heard of that technique before with the versamark and embossing powder--well up that point I had. But I had never heard of ironing the EP off. That's cool! I'll have to try that!

Thanks for sharing! It's so nice to have you back again!!

Carol's Crafts said...

Awesome Dan. Love your work.

Dschrader said...

Wow, had never heard of a "snake book" but I love the idea! Great job on setting this up for SCAL too! Donna

hilli said...

What is a snake book? I am not familiar with the term.

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Dan , good to see you posting again, love these pages :). It is agreat technique
xx

misteejay said...

Those backgrounds are just wonderful.

Toni :o)

Hels Sheridan said...

Corrrrrr....I looooove that little fella on the first page, he is kinda ugly and kinda cute :O) Oh and I love that you have a stamp of Freddie Mercury...he is my hero so could I have a lend of that one pleasings?
I would love to be able to tell you all about some other foodstuff today but alas, I am full of cheese and biscuits so would never be able to do anything else any justice :O))

Pia said...

wow what a great work, lovely colours

Unknown said...

Clever Dan
I am a fan
of your snake book work
I really like
the weight lifter
who looks like
my mate Dirk!

Apologies to Wordsworth :0)

Julia Dunnit said...

Love the colourng on these pages. And erm, snakebook??

Heather in FL said...

Looks really cool! I, too, hadn't heard of ironing off the EP after using it as a resist, but I guess it makes sense. Thanks for the new ideas!

Andrea said...

I just am loving these 2 pages and especially the Quirky man at the top, scary but nice in a funny kinda way, I have come to the conclusion Dan you have some very strange friends and I know these people, shock horror, am I associated in the same catergory as they are as my white jacket was hung away a while ago x

Sally said...

Wow Dan - gorgeous - I really must get SCAL! It appears so versitile.

Sid said...

Love your pages Dan, is that a stampotique stamp?

Angela Mclean said...

snake book... hmm it is late... but love the pages! Angela xxx

narutopenguingirl said...

Hey Dan! Cool project! Just wondering if using SCAL and cutting the holes on cricut might be a good alternative to getting a Bind It All? Could save me some money! :0)

Moira said...

Fantastic, love those backgrounds.

Related Posts with Thumbnails