Friday 27 June 2008

Catch a falling star and....


This is for a new challenge on my friend Hel's blog, called "In my pocket...". Each week, there will be something different in the pocket, this week it's buttons.

I started out having a bit of a play with this one to be honest. No firm idea of what I wanted to make, or what it should be like. I knew I wanted to try another of the lovely (and so cheap!) PPs I got from Costco recently, and to try out some new stamps that were burning a hole on my desk.

I started out cutting a blank pocket from white card (it has to measure 7" x 3.75", and it's folded at the 3" mark). I decided not to trim the corners in any way, but to leave it rectangular.

I then covered it in the PP, using a double sided sheet, so I knew the two patterns would co-ordinate together well.

After that, it was a "just" a case of decorating it! The ribbon was stamped in black versafine, and one of Tim Holtz's journalling tickets was stamped and coloured with white acrylic and fixed into place. The "52" was stamped, and the edges were sanded with a glass file. Finally the "lock" was fixed into place and the inside was painted black.

The inside of the pocket was stamped in black versafine. One of the flowers on the Anna Griffin background stamp was highlighted by hand-painting. The chrome "J" and button brad were painted with a mixture of black and copper acrylic paint and dried with a heat gun and fixed into place. The Tim Holtz "dream" adage ticket were distressed and fixed into place. The buttons were stamped onto the reverse side of a piece of PP, cut out and fixed into place. The receipt was stamped, distressed and held in place with a copper clip. The buttons block stamp was painted with a yellow wash, and the photo turn was fixed to the card with a brad.

Phew! I think that's it! I hope you like it, click on the images for a larger view :o)

14 comments :

Hels Sheridan said...

Gorgeous pocket Dan, I just remembered I have a button stamp too!!! I could've used it on mine!! LOL Thanks for joining in and I do hope that the hole in your desk is minimal, I would hate for more of your stamps to fall thru it :O))

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

Isn't Hel's challenge an inspiration? Love the pocket, Dan
Jennie x

Andrea said...

a stunning pocket and a brilliant load of stamps you have used Dan, I to have a button stamp that most likely has not seen daylight, you are an inspiration x

CraftyC said...

Wow Dan, do you have to be so clever!! (LOL). Your work is very inspirational and you've done another grand job!
Clairexx

Angelnorth said...

Great stuff! Love the eclectic feel of this, it's sort of like being allowed to look through your Grandad's wallet or something :)

Unknown said...

I agree with Angelnorth - your pocket has a real eclectic feel. It is so very "Dan" which makes it so very special XXX

Jo said...

Great pocket dan! very grungey, Love it!

Paul B said...

What a lovely little project Dan. I really like the rich colours which go well together and the many layers, you've incorporated into it. Do you prefer to just go with the moment or do you prefer to have an idea of how it'll look before you start making something

Px

Anna said...

Dan, I only stumbled across your blog today and am in awe of your talent and your inspirational work. This is a fantastic pocket. I wish that I could do similar.

Jay said...

WOW! I think that's all I have to say.

Karen said...

Brilliant Dan :)

Angie C said...

Fantastic pocket Dan, I love what you have done - stunning

Anonymous said...

Amazing pocket Dan! :0) x

Minxy said...

Wowzer what a wonderful piece-a work, loving your pocket, especially love the ickle lock used x

Related Posts with Thumbnails