Monday 6 January 2014

Is this my "blue period"?


The theme over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge is "blue".  This was somewhat of a challenge for me, because as I thought about it I realised that I really don't use blue very much as a general rule.  I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't like it, it's just that I tend to reach for warmer colours as a first choice.  That's probably why I found it quite refreshing this week, a real trip outside of my comfort zone!  Why don't you dig out your blue stash and make an entry for this week's $50 prize challenge? :)

I have most (if not all) of the Promarker colours so I thought I'd take the opportunity of really giving the blue shades a good workout this week.  For that reason, all of the stamping was done with Memento Tuxedo Black ink, the best choice for using with Promarkers.

This man from the Paris Memoir set is one of my new favourite images, so I was determined to put him front and centre on this piece.  The image to the left is a section of the David head from the Artful Artifacts set and the numbers on the right are from The Countdown set.

I find that when I apply some kind of restriction to what I'm doing, in this case limiting myself to using only blues, it forces me to think a little differently about what I'm doing and that's nearly always a good thing! :)

Supplies I used included:

Our ever-generous sponsor Simon Says Stamp is offering a $50 gift voucher as the prize again this week, just make something for the challenge and you could the winner! The winner will be chosen at random from those who enter the challenge, so why not give it a try? At the very least why not head over to the Challenge Blog to see how the other members of the design team have interpreted this weeks theme! :)

50dollar_voucher_600px










Don't forget, Simon Says Stamp have a great Facebook page too!  Check them out here!

11 comments :

Anna-Karin said...

Fabulous blue piece Dan! Love the three stamped panels with all the different shades of blue.

Candy C said...

Dan, I really like your triptych piece in the blue tones. :) The way you have used portions of those stamps within the frames really looks awesome. <3 Candy

Beulah Bee said...

A great take on the blue theme, the mix of blues and the triptych of images really holds your interest. It has a kind of old newspaper press feel to it and makes me want to try something similar myself. Thanks for the inspiration.

Michelle said...

You've got a whole lot of good things going on here which lead to a fabulous project! I don't use much blue either, so I was really impressed with the way that you approached this. Narrowing down your materials was a great idea. I can see where that would actually improve the creativity rather than inhibit it. I'll have to keep that in mind! Thanks for the inspiration!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous piece Dan, love how you have used blue, works so well with the focal image. Love the three panel design too. As always wonderful bold design. Tracy x

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Fab design! I love that crisp blue color in his tie!!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Klara said...

I like your way to create "outside the box". Your project is very male and I think that the blue feets it very much. Thank you for stopping by... :))

Suzanne C said...

LOve the panels of bits and pieces of images! Striking combination!

Meihsia Liu said...

Love the beautiful shades of blue you used in these three panels, Dan. Great design! :)

barbarayaya62 said...

great piece as always! i love your use of stamps!!! BArbarayaya

misteejay said...

Considering blue isn't one of your 'go to' colours I think you have done a fab job...I love your panelled blue card - it looks super.

Toni xx

Related Posts with Thumbnails