Monday 4 March 2013

Mathemagician, King of Digitopolis!


The theme over on the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge is "Numbers".  I suggested this topic myself, so I've known it was coming for quite some time.  I decided to create the Mathemagician from the classic children's story The Phantom Tollbooth.  The Mathemagician is the king of Digitopolis and loves all things numerical so there was plenty of scope for ideas on this one.  I wanted to make a fairly conventional portrait and this is what I came up with.  I loved this story as a kid and think it's one of the things that helped develop my love for numbers and language - if you haven't read it with your kids yet, I'd thoroughly recommend it!

I started out by spritzing the background with water and then dabbing distress stains onto it, creating a blurred, dreamy background in shades of green.  I used broken china distress ink to stamp the large numbers background and splashed it with water to create some light spots.

I stamped the man on scrap card and then drew clothes and a beard on top of the image.  I cut them out and used the shapes as templates to cut clothes from blank card, which I then coloured and decorated with black and white pens.

The borders were stamped separately and cut out.  The Mathemagician was fixed in place and then the borders were fixed around the edges, trimming to length.  The whole thing was mounted on black card as a finishing touch.  Now I just need to find a frame and a place to hang it! :)

Supplies I used included:

Our ever-generous sponsor Simon Says Stamp is offering a $50 gift voucher as the prize again this week, just make something for the challenge and you could the winner! The winner will be chosen at random from those who enter the challenge, so why not give it a try? At the very least why not head over to the Challenge Blog to see how the other members of the design team have interpreted this weeks theme! :)

Don't forget, Simon Says Stamp have a great Facebook page too!  Check them out here!

11 comments :

Candy C said...

Dan...I love your king of Digitopolis! I didn't even recognize him as being the Wendy Vecchi stamp until I read your post! That wizard hat and beard were wonderful disguises! :) Love your portrait effect and your signature bold colors! <3 Candy

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

You are so funny and so darn clever! His beard rocks, and his robe and cap...LOVE! Numbers guys are so HOT!!!

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Wow what a transformation, I did not recognise the Wendy Vecchi man in his numbered disguise. Very clever Dan. Love your King and your use if your ignature bold colours and design. Tracy x

wendy vecchi said...

what a handsome DUDE!
LOVE your twist~

very COOL indeed!

Suzanne C said...

Brilliant take on the challenge!

Sandra said...

Always fun to see how you dress up your stamps! Love this one too! Hugs, Sandra

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

I like how you made an original creation of your own inspired by your childhood! Very clever and well done!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Winnie said...

How fun Dan! Love how you dressed up your figure! Such a great beard! Very clear way to incorporate numbers in your piece as well!

Carole said...

Great take on the challenge Dan, I so enjoy visiting your site. I'm a novice when it comes to this type of crafting but it sure is a lot of fun and I love learning. Thanks so much for sharing your talent.

Words and Pictures said...

Yay - a fellow Phantom Tollbooth fan... though I have to say I majored on the side of the words... never forgotten the market where you can buy words and how they all taste different from one another (probably directly led me to my "proper" job!). Brilliant Mathemagician - and a fab challenge, thank you!
Alison x

Gráinne said...

Haha, this beard is hilarious! Love your King of Digitopolis :-) Fab funny piece of work. A perfect transformation of the original stamp image. Suzanne

Related Posts with Thumbnails