Tuesday 8 July 2008

A bit of a dog's breakfast!


... as we say in the UK, or in other words, a mess!

As those of you who read my blog regularly will know, I don't always upload the successful pieces here, from time to time I also show the failures, as I feel there is some value to be gained in sharing those too. This counts as one of them :o)

I was making a tag for a book I have in mind, and found a piece of white card lying on my desk that had a slight sheen to it, so thought I'd cut that down to size and use that.

The first thing I did was stamp the house (actually it's an old fashioned store) with black versafine. It stamped absolutely beautifully! The black was very dark and the detail was amazing. And that's when the trouble started - it just wouldn't dry, despite ironing it, and heat tooling it, as soon as I rubbed it with a piece of kitchen paper, the whole thing just came off. Add to this that distress ink just sank straight into the card and could hardly be moved around at all, things just went from bad to worse, lol

This cardstock is actually posterboard from Staples. We don't have it here in the UK (as far as I know), but I got it in a branch near Vancouver last year and used it for the Christmas fat pages I made while I was there. The technique I used on the background of those pages was perfect for this cardstock (you can see examples here and here).

Anyway, I guess you live and learn :) I guess I hope you like it, lol Click on the tag for a larger view.

21 comments :

Jennie -The Artistic Stamper said...

I like the tag - very ethereal

Wendy - Anntaurus said...

Have to say I like it too! When the blog opened and I saw it my first thoughts were positive, and they still are!

voodoo vixen said...

Well, see, there is just no accounting for personal taste, Dan!! I love this! It has a early morning mist/ghosty atmosphere to it which really appeals.

Desperate Dan making a Dog's Dinner... yeah right! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm well Dan i like it too!!!!! you just dont have any taste LOL,,,smiles xx jo xx

Andrea said...

Dan you can never make a mistake as it always looks ok to us, apart from some things I will not mention LOL as my brutal honesty is not always a good thing, but you know what are friends for :-) xx

Sarah said...

yup - Versafine won't dry on most coated types of surface - as you have discovered :)

agree with the other guys though that despite the problems it kind of works - it has a ghostly / weathered thang going on

elliemook said...

We all seem to like this one, but I guess that won't change your mind? I hope you are going to try this again on some more friendly type of cardstock, the composition is perfect x

Phree said...

I like it too! I have had the same problem with Versafine - like you I found out the hard way that it does not dry on coated cardstock, however my mess was exactly that, a mess, whereas your's has ended up looking deliberate.

dddeeebbbzzz said...

I just wish I could have disasters like this! I like it and the misty quality it has.

Unknown said...

There are no mistakes in crafting Dan - just happy accidents :0)
I will add that I actually like the shadowy effect you have achieved and the background is awesome X

Hels Sheridan said...

Well Dan, if you don't like this one hun, you could always recycle it ... I happen to live in a Recycling Depot, and would happily take this off your hands for you!!! LOL And, I happen to love this more than Chips n curry sauce washed down with Diet Coke...and you know how much I love that :O))

Crissi Harvey said...

well all i can say is i wish my stuff thats ok was as brilliant as your disasters and i would be well happy. I love it!

Dawn said...

Well Dan if that's one of your disasters - I just don't know!!!! LOL - Looks great to me anyway,

Shazza said...

I still like this Dan, nice and ghostly/dreamy feel to it
Shazza
x

Dawny P said...

ooh I like this. And I agree with Jennie that there is something quite ethereal about it.

Dawny P said...

oops forgot to say that we say dogs dinner here!! Do you think there's a dogs tea out there somewhere???

Jaqi said...

This is great and its not like the mistakes i make....LOL When my mistakes get as good as yours i will be so happy, hehehe. Its great i like it, Jaqi

♥ Lydia ♥ said...

If you hadn't of said...I wouldn't have known!! It looks fabulous to me :0)

Anonymous said...

Well I like it Dan - it is frustrating though when things don't go according to plan. Looks like a fire going on way behind the house somewhere ;-)
Thanks for sharing the failures.

Little Lion x

Anne said...

You shouldn't have said anything Dan because it looks perfectly fab to me too - would never class it as a 'failure' - if ever I stamp something that won't dry I tend to sprinkle clear ep over it because I can't stand the thought of losing it, however, the result here looks pretty darn fine to me!
ps - you're probably sick of blog awards but I nominated you for another!! (probably one you already have! LOL!);o) xx

Linda said...

Would just like to say Dan, that you can feel free to post any of your failures to me, and I will happily dispose of them for you :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails