Monday 16 April 2012

The Road to Distressville

This weeks theme on the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge is "Anything Goes".  I signed up for Tim Holtz's Creative Chemistry 101 class recently (though I haven't yet had the time to work through the classes) and one of the things he talks about is using Distress Markers to outline the edge of stencilled designs.  As I'm really enjoying using stencils at the moment, I thought I'd try that technique out on this piece.  I used a star stencil with Barn Door distress ink applied with an ink blending tool and edged the stars with Aged Mahogany Distress Marker.  I really like the crisp definition it's given to the stars and will be doing more of this in the future! :)

I used a piece from the Kraft Resist pad as the background and stamped the blue rays first, then stencilled the stars on top.  I love how the glazed letters and words on the cardstock aren't affected by the ink and show through strongly.  I stamped the tire tread from Tim's Road Trip stamp set onto white card with Shabby Shutters Distress Ink and then stamped the words on top in black.  I cut it out and mounted it onto black card.  The route 66 shield was stamped on white card and cut out, then I applied walnut stain ink to the main panel to create a shadow where the shield was going to go and stuck it in place.  I edged the whole panel with walnut stain and matted it onto black card.  Finally I fixed the route 66 in place.

Our ever-generous sponsor Simon Says Stamp is offering a $50 gift voucher as the prize again this week, just make something for the challenge and you could the winner! The winner will be chosen at random from those who enter the challenge, so why not give it a try? At the very least why not head over to the Challenge Blog to see how the other members of the design team have interpreted this weeks theme! :)

13 comments :

misteejay said...

Great piece Dan - the stars really do look very effective coloured in that way.

Toni xx

Sid said...

Very well defined images Dan !

Julian said...

Oh I love it! It's got such a great vintage, almost psychedelic feel to it, and the composition is so dynamic. Just wonderful!

Nancy Wethington said...

Love this piece Dan!

Candy C said...

I love your piece this week, Dan. The stenciled stars atop the distressed kraft resist paper look awesome! I love the distress markers technique as well. Your design is really cool, too! <3 Candy

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous Dan, I love the stars and the markers used on the outside edge of each . Love the shadow you have created around Route 66 . A really funky piece. Tracy x

vixen said...

Lovely :)

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Cool card, Dan! I really love the ray and star stamp combo, it makes them look like shooting stars!! :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Claire said...

This is really fantastic Dan.
C x

Kirsteen said...

Wow that is amazing! Thanks for sharing x

Glen said...

This is fab Dan - bold and colourful. *Ü* TFS. It was so nice to meet you IRL at the show on Saturday. Glad you could make it afterall. ~Glen~

Alana said...

Oh I likey this. Very bold and powerfull looking:)

Gillian .... said...

Love the bold/masculine feel to this card Dan, the Distress Marker technique looks awesome, good to see you again at the weekend. x

Related Posts with Thumbnails