A few weeks ago, while on an outing to York for the day, I bought a box of 5"x5" square cards and envelopes and have been itching to have a go at one ever since! I also got a few of Tim Holtz's new stamp sets a day or two ago, and this card includes some of the images from the "Steampunk" set. The house was inspired by some I saw on the Paperbag Studios blog (though I think theirs may be stamps and mine was hand drawn).
During the Tim Holtz class I took a couple of weeks ago, he gave us a dictionary page to use as we wished. I didn't use mine on the configurations box project, so made use of it on this card. I stuck it to white card and cut out a square for the main panel, a smaller one for the house and a triangle for the roof.
I distressed the main panel with Walnut Stain DI around the edges and stamped some splatters from the "Bitty Grunge" stamp set in Brushed Corduroy DI. I blended Rusty Hinge DI on the roof and Fired Brick on the house. Using a black pen and a white pen I drew freehand lines around the roof, window and house and then used a red and an orange promarker to make the edges a little more punchy.
The doors were white card, embossed with large dots in the cuttlebug then sprayed with Red Pepper Color Wash spray. I cut a "T" with scissors in the panel then folded the doors back, drawing panels on them with a white pen. I then used PVA glue to fix the doors to the house. The Steampunk man was stamped in Walnut Stain DI and cut out then glued in the doorway.
The hands were stamped and coloured with promarkers then cut out. I placed a strip of tissue tape down the right side of the main panel and then the house, roof and hands were fixed to the background and edged with grey promarker. Finally I cut a mat from some patterned cardstock and coloured the edge using the same brown promarker as I had used on the sleeves, to tie the whole thing together, colourwise. I glued mat to card and main panel to mat and Bob's yer uncle! :) I had a lot of fun making this, I think I need to go out and find an old dictionary somewhere so I can do more! :)
I've entered this in this week's Theme Thursday challenge, which is "hats".