Monday 26 August 2013

I've gone all dotty!


The theme over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge is "Dotty".  I love dots... dots and stars... and I really should use more of both!  Hopefully today's offering has topped up my dots quotient for a little while to come!  Among my many talents (ok, ok, my 1 or 2 talents - it's ok that you thought it but you didn't have to point it out! lol)  is the highly prized skill of being able, whatever the location or circumstance, to lose a pen.  What's that you say?  You too?  I think there are a lot of us around!  Given my crafty hobby, I obviously have a house full of pens, but can I lay my hands on one when the phone rings?  Can I billy-o!  Hopefully this dotty pen pot which will live next to my phone can change that.  (The fact that the handset is never on the cradle and keeps running out of charge is another story, let's not pull at that particular thread!)

I started out with a plain MDF pen pot and used a couple of coats of picket fence distress stain to give it a limed look.  I cut my white card sides to size and blended mustard seed and spiced marmalade distress ink as a background colour before edging with gathered twigs d.i.  I overstamped with the Memory Box blank ticket on each piece, adding dots from Tim Holtz's mixed media stamp set, stamped with mowed lawn d.i.  Finally I stamped the numbers from the Classic Collages set with black archival ink onto each side panel.

I stamped the memory box index card onto a manilla tag and cut it out, edging it with gathered twigs distress ink before adding the same dots with fired brick distress ink.  The "hello" is from a Simon Says Stamp exclusive clear stamp set called Apothecary Labels.  I stamped it twice, once onto the index card and then again onto white card, cutting out the central panel and fixing it in place on the index card.  All sides were then fixed to the pen pot.

I had a bit of a brainwave with the striped border - I stamped the notepaper from Tim's School Desk set onto white card and then coloured alternate lines with a Ruby Promarker before using my paper trimmer to cut 1/4 inch strips from it, which I then distressed with a little gathered twigs ink before fixing them to the pen pot.  I thought that was a neat idea and was pretty pleased with myself! lol


Supplies I used included:

Our ever-generous sponsor Simon Says Stamp is offering a $50 gift voucher as the prize again this week, just make something for the challenge and you could the winner! The winner will be chosen at random from those who enter the challenge, so why not give it a try? At the very least why not head over to the Challenge Blog to see how the other members of the design team have interpreted this weeks theme! :)

50dollar_voucher_600px

Don't forget, Simon Says Stamp have a great Facebook page too!  Check them out here!

17 comments :

misteejay said...

Super looking pen pot Dan.

I'm okay with my craft pens as I'm a little OCD about them but any other pen that enters the house must have legs as they wander off to join the scissors...(wherever they might be hiding).

Toni xx

Candy C said...

Dan...LOVE what you've done to those plain MDF pen pots! The polka dots and colors you've used have really given them such a vibrant look. What a great place to store your pens! They are so fantastic! <3 Candy

Suzy said...

These look just fab Dan and yes I too can never find a pen when I want it. The trick with these pots will be to replace the pens once you have used them!!

And as for cordless phones and chargers dont even go there - I have a teenage daughter - nuff said!!!

Suzy xx

Meihsia Liu said...

This is such a beautfiul pen holder, Dan. I love those vibrant colors and fabulous dotty patterns. :)

Unknown said...

I'm not too bad with pens as I have a little tin cup with a knitted sleeve on my desk, however it is not half as gorgeous as your pen pot Dan. x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Love the story behind your creation Dan, had to smile to myself as I seem to have the same problem with misplacing pens and can never find one when I need one. I love,your vibrant pen pots, love,how,you incorporated dots into,your design. Great idea. Tracy x

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Clever idea, Dan! I need to make a few of these for myself! :)


*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Michelle said...

Great project. Fun, colorful, and inspiring too! I love the stamps you used.

Suzanne C said...

Great dots and brill pen holders!

slbt17 said...

love this!
Sandra ltb

A Country Twinkle said...

Great marker holder! Very cute and dotty!

Anna-Karin said...

Fabulour project Dan!! Love all those different dots.

MiniOwner said...

A super project there, Dan. TFS.
Sue x

Claire said...

It's nifty Dan, Love it.
C xx

Julia Aston said...

Love how you've done up these boxes! what wonderful way to keep your pens 'un-lost' and give your eyes some 'eye candy' at the same time!

Martha said...

Dan, what a FABULOUS & FUN project!
I love all the dots & wonderful details.
(Love your sense of humor!)

Maura said...

Great project Dan! Love your take on the dots...I need to make these to put in all the pencils and pens my students will borrow :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails