Monday 5 August 2013

A Set of Air Males


The theme over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge is "Air Male".   I thought I'd play
around with that a little and made a set of ATC "air males", styled as male-themed postage stamps, giving them wings for extra "air".  I love making ATCs, they are the perfect size for trying out a new technique or for executing an idea that perhaps wouldn't expand well to a larger project.  Having said that, I don't make them often, I have to confess I got somewhat disillusioned with the whole trading process.

It all came to a head when I made a set of 3 ATCs for a swap, putting a lot of time and work into them, and in exchange I received 3 rectangles of plain card with a small dolphin outline sticker in the middle of each one.  I knew I was headed for disaster when I read a forum post by the sender saying "phew - I just made 50 ATCs in an hour!".  I've never traded ATCs since!  Rant over :)

I cut the stamp edge border on my Cricut (I'll be giving the digital cutting file away in a week or two if you're into that kind of thing).  Although I'm known for my bright colours I didn't want these to quite as distressed as usual so no brown distress ink in sight!  (I used to worry that everything I made looked like it had been dragged through a hedge backwards, muddy, splattered and torn.  Finally I learned to embrace it as my style! lol).

I started out by stamping the lettered background with clear Versamark inkand let it dry.  It acted as a pale resist for the distress ink I applied over the top.  Lord Lucan in the middle came with his own wings so he was just stamped and coloured with promarkers.  Jake on the left had his wings stamped in the background first and scary clown man's wings were created with a Tim Holtz embossing folder and white card.

I enjoyed making these, I think perhaps ATCs might crop up a little more regularly here in future! :)

Supplies I used included:

Our ever-generous sponsor Simon Says Stamp is offering a $50 gift voucher as the prize again this week, just make something for the challenge and you could the winner! The winner will be chosen at random from those who enter the challenge, so why not give it a try? At the very least why not head over to the Challenge Blog to see how the other members of the design team have interpreted this weeks theme! :)

50dollar_voucher_600px
Don't forget, Simon Says Stamp have a great Facebook page too!  Check them out here!

8 comments :

Redanne said...

I really had to smile reading your 'swap experience', I think many of us can relate to that one! Your ATCs are wonderful and I love your 'Air Male' take on the challenge - so clever. The images are wonderful and your colourings are superb - wonderful makes Dan.

Candy C said...

Hi Dan! Love your ATCs and your interpretation if the theme this week! You are always do clever and these are done in your true bold color style! I laughed at your ATC story because I couple relate. :). You crack me up! LOVE your ATCs! Hugs, Candy

Meihsia Liu said...

Love your "male" themed ATCs. The images and those colors are just totally fantastic! I also agree with your point on ATC swap. Your story cracks me up. :)

1CardCreator said...

What a great way to interpret the theme, love them! ~Diane

Anna-Karin said...

Super cool idea for this challenge Dan. I always enjoy seeing how you alter stamps into something different.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Great interpretation of this weeks theme Dan. As always I love your use of bold striking colour and imagery.Fabulous ATC's. Have a great week. Tracy x x

Sid said...

Really like these ATC's Dan !

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Super cool, Dan! I love the way you always think outside of the box :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Related Posts with Thumbnails