Monday 10 March 2014

All I Really Want


The theme over on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge this week is "D is for Distress" so this was right in my ballpark!  Why don't you make something inspired by Distress and enter the challenge?  If you do you will be in the running for a $50 shopping voucher at Simon Says Stamp!

These 4 pieces were inspired by the Alanis Morrisette song All I Really Want.  I'm not going to explain the idea behind each panel, but if you know the song or listen to it from the link above, you might be able to figure it out :)  As well as linking them through their distressed colour pallete and grungy look I chose stars as a sub-theme to add another stylistic link between them.

I used Tim Holtz's Stars layering stencil on the background of all of them as well as blended distress inks - checked the "distress" theme box:)  They were edged with a black archival ink pad applied direct to the card and white gesso.

Starting from the top-left panel and working clockwise...
a. Stamps I used were Simon Says Stamps Holiday Borders and Sketched Alphabet and Tim Holtz's  Classics #5.

b. Merriment Tissue tape, Classics #5 and World Traveler.
c. Winged Things 2 and Mona's Sketchbook.
d. Paris Memoir,  Psychedelic Grunge and Hero Arts Unicorn white pigment pad.  Oh, and the Envelope Punch Board, to make the hourglass.

I love putting a song on repeat and emptying my head then seeing what appears on my empty card, so I had a lot of fun with these! :)


Supplies I used included:

Our ever-generous sponsor Simon Says Stamp is offering a $50 gift voucher as the prize again this week, just make something for the challenge and you could the winner! The winner will be chosen at random from those who enter the challenge, so why not give it a try? At the very least why not head over to the Challenge Blog to see how the other members of the design team have interpreted this weeks theme! :)

50dollar_voucher_600px











Don't forget, Simon Says Stamp have a great Facebook page too!  Check them out here!

13 comments :

misteejay said...

Those panels are very clever Dan - I love how you have used the stars to link them.

Toni xx

Fena said...

OMG!! this is one of a kind!! this mixed media work is absolutely stunning!!

Meihsia Liu said...

Beautiful creation, Dan. Love the pretty stamping and colors on these four panels. :)

Stephanie said...

Haha that's so funny that you do that with songs because my Mom does the exact same thing! I love it! This collection of panels is so unique and even cooler that I know the inspiration behind them :)

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Kathi said...

These are fabulous!

I would love to know how you created that fantastic hourglass with the punchboard!

Great work!

Michelle said...

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing the inspiration of the lyrics. Very cool!

Emma Williams said...

Such a unique set of panels, showcasing your stamping and the distressing products so wonderfully! Fabulous work Dan... :)

barbarayaya62 said...

DAn your ability to use faces in your works always amazes me! You are absolutely fantastic, extremely original and unique! nice work as always! BArbarayaya

Anna-Karin said...

Fabulous project Dan!! And such a great inspiration piece.

Colleen said...

Dan,
I love, love your take on art These are inspiring to me.

Words and Pictures said...

I'm a huge Alanis fan... brilliant panels coming from right inside the song... Fantastic, Dan!
Alison x

Doudou said...

Original! i love so much , great job!

Suzanne C said...

WHat a fun mix of colors and images! Brilliant design! Always thoughtful and thought inspiring!

Related Posts with Thumbnails