Monday 18 February 2013

Upcycled Metal Frame


The theme over on the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge is "metal-ology".  I've got a few of these cheap Ikea wooden frames kicking around in my craftroom and I thought I'd glitz one of them up with some added metal bling.  Janeen at SuburbNgypsy is guest designer this week, so be sure to check out her blog and watch out for her tutorial on the SSS&S blog later in the week!

I have a display in my upstairs hall of things I've made using this David stamp and for a while now I've felt there's a bit of a gap in it that needs another item to balance it out.  This framed piece should solve the problem perfectly!

I started out by cutting up my metal into pieces of around 3x4 inches and fed them through my cuttlebug, applying a different embossing folder to each one to give a range of textures.

I cut strips from each piece that were the exact width of the frame sections and used redline tape to attach them to the frame.  I then applied a generous coat of Claudine Hellmuth black acrylic paint to all parts of the frame and sanded the metal parts to reveal the hidden silver designs.


Supplies I used included:

Our ever-generous sponsor Simon Says Stamp is offering a $50 gift voucher as the prize again this week, just make something for the challenge and you could the winner! The winner will be chosen at random from those who enter the challenge, so why not give it a try? At the very least why not head over to the Challenge Blog to see how the other members of the design team have interpreted this weeks theme! :)

Don't forget, Simon Says Stamp have a great Facebook page too!  Check them out here!

13 comments :

Andrea said...

fantastic frame Dan, it looks superb x

Suzanne C said...

Beautiful effect with the metal overlay on the wooden frame! David is properly framed!

Liana Yarckin said...

this is amazing. i would have never known a cuttlebug was used to make this. you are very creative and talented.

Candy C said...

I am absolutely loving your masculine frame! Love the embossing and the dark color you have given to this frame! Your David looks amazing showcased in this very cool frame. Hugs, Candy

Gillian .... said...

Hey Dan, your metal inspired frame looks fab with David as the focal piece. x

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Fabulous piece of upcycling Dan, love the black metal set against the David image. You always use him so fabulously. Tracy x x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

Your frame ROCKS!!! Love the textured metal! The image is so cool too and fabulously colored!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Cool effect, Dan!! I really like how you put this frame together :)


*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp!

Julian said...

Love how you've not worked the black too much and left the bare metal quite shiny - creates a lot of impact and a sense of starkness. Very very cool!

Sandra said...

stunning glitzed up frame, Dan! Love it! Hugs, Sandra

Words and Pictures said...

Love the industrial chic look... the black and silver with all those different embosses - it all looks fantastic!
Alison x

Wendy said...

Really love this frame :-)

JaneH said...

Great ideas, Dan. I bought a set of metal paper and tools several years ago at Ally Pally and completely forgot how to use it by the time I got it home!! It's still in the unopened packages... along with a few other things.

Related Posts with Thumbnails