Monday, 15 November 2010

If it makes you happy...

(Of course now I have that darned Sheryl Crow song stuck in my head, lol)

Over on the Simon Says Stamp & Show Challenge blog today the new theme is "whatever makes you happy". I had to give this one a bit of thought - I guess I need to spend more time thinking about what makes me happy, I didn't have a clue at first! LOL I decided in the end that what makes me happy in a crafting way is have a good old messy play, and trying things for the first time.

There were a couple of things that I'd had at the back of my mind to try but hadn't gotten around to, and I decided to try them out with this piece. The first was using distress ink directly onto wood, which I did on the frame. I stamped on the frame and then applied distress inks with a foam applicator. It worked really well, but I felt it was a little too bold for the effect I wanted and distracted from the main piece, so I knocked it back by sponging some white paint on top of it.

The other thing I tried out was using dried-out, ink-stained baby wipes that I had used on earlier projects. I stamped onto it in a couple of places used it as a sheer layer to mask some stamping in another area. A word of warning - if you try this, be very careful if you dry it with your heat gun, the material shrivels up at the slightest overheating!

The background was inked, spritzed, dried, water-stamped, stamped and just generally beat up a bit :) As ever, click on the image to see a larger view. All comments appreciated! :)

Our ever-generous sponsor Simon Says Stamp is offering a $25 gift voucher again this week! The winner will be chosen at random from those who enter the challenge, so why not give it a try?


12 comments :

misteejay said...

It is lovely Dan - the soft shading is beautiful.

Toni :o)

Sue said...

I Love trying out new things ( craft wise too) but usually wait for a class..really need to be braver!
Love your piece.

Cynthia Schelzig,Cynnie said...

Wonderful piece...really like it!!

Jules said...

Gorgeous Dan, I especially love the background :D

Lori said...

Love it, Dan! Always love seeing your creations for the challenges! Yep, DI's on wood are definitely cool, and gives a completely different feel, and usually much easier than paint! lol!

Craphty said...

Dreamy love the subtle colours will have a go at using my copious amounts of used baby wipes!

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

Hi Dan,

That is A GOOD song! :) I love the blending,,,it looks like a beautiful sunset!

*mwah*
Steph
Simon Says Stamp

Sandi M said...

Dan this is very cool how it all turned out. I really like the piece with this frame you've done.

Oh, and that silly song was the first that came to my mind too :)

Shar said...

Gorgeous piece, Dan! Love it!

Deedles said...

Very nice work. Love the shading.

LynneForsythe said...

hhmmmmm....what great trials...that all came out FAB!! AWESOME piece!!

Lisa said...

great project!

Related Posts with Thumbnails