Wednesday, 26 August 2009
The Beginnings of a Book....
I've had an idea kicking around in my head for quite a long time now, for a book that I want to make. Today I finally got around to starting it! :)
I'm not going to say too much about it right now, but I'll post each illustration page as I complete it. There will be pages with words on too, but I'll show those with the completed book.
Budding Sherlocks among you will have spotted that it's going to be bound with the Bind-it-all. I actually designed the page shape (including the BIA holes) in Inkscape and cut it on the Cricut with SCAL. I thought it would be easier to add the binding holes that way rather than punch the pages after I'd decorated them. You might also have noticed that it's going to be a word book of sorts (that's a letter S at the top right). You're getting no more out of me for now than that! :)
The background was created using 3 colours of acrylic paint - black, white and denim - which were blended on the page with a wet wipe. The moon is cast from paper clay in a silicone mould and was painted white after it had dried (the clay dries pure white, so I can't see a difference, lol).
The houses and birds are both custom stamps that I had made for me a couple of years back. Both were stamped with black Versafine ink. Using a small square punch I made a stencil for the window and coloured it by scribbling through the stencil with a Ranger white pen. The same pen was then used to write the "z"s in place. I'm really happy with how this has turned out, and I just hope that the other pages live up to it! LOL
Click on the image to see a larger view.